Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road
at 2pm on Monday 22nd May 2017
Present: John Barker (President), Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment
Officer,) James Weir (Heritage and Conservation Officer), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)
- Apologies: Beryl Parker (Social Secretary)
- The minutes for the meetings held on 27th March and 24th April were agreed
- Matters Arising from the Minutes.
- Dorset Architectural Heritage Week. There would be a presentation on the work of the Civic
Society by Ken at BNSS on 9th September at 230pm
- Local Development Framework. The date of the next meeting is awaited
- Built Environment.
5.1 Hospital Access from the A338 Spur Road. Meeting on 26th May – Elaine attending.
5.2 Moorside Cottage. Waiting for plans, restoration of the cottage must be included and tied to any
development in the grounds.
5.3 Wharfdale Road Business Units. The Society opposed the proposed church and training centre
5.4 Talbot Woods (Richard Carr). The plans had been rejected, residents had thanked the Society but
new and bigger plans had been submitted.
5.5 Pokesdown, 3 Wickham Road. The Society’s and local Forum’s views on the plans had been
featured in the Echo.
5.6 Belvedere Hotel. No further news on when the development would take place so this would be
raised with the Council.
5.7 Wessex Hotel. Plans recently deferred by Planning Board due to concerns over loss of dance floor/ball room and the number of hotel rooms in the new hotel/residential development.
- Heritage and Conservation.
- Westover Road Cinemas. An appraisal (including architectural) was needed. This might cost up to £25K so James was seeking ways/grants/funds to sponsor this.
- See John Soane’s report:
- 32 Lowther Road. 16 objections to and Arts & Crafts block with an extension to the rear. This
would impose upon the privacy of neighbours. Planning criteria should be strictly enforced.
- Talbot Heath School. Plans for 4 houses on the tennis courts, the design was OK but they impose
a threat to the Heathland. Should be reduced to 2. Defer
- 28 Tregonwell Road. Plan to build an extra wing and convert to flats, the mass was excessive
- 18 Browning Avenue. The plan for 2 blocks of lats was an inappropriate development
- Corner Lorne Park Road. Plans still excessive for the site
- 18-22 Studland Road. Two semi-detached blocks, OK but improve the facade.
- 24-26 Studland Road. Plan for 45 flats, should be reduced to 20-30 with improvements at rear
- Planning Sub-Committee. The Planning Sub-Committee met in the Echo Building on 3rd May
- Planning Board Observation.
- 54A Arnewood Road. Plans deferred
- 24 Garfield Avenue . Plans held over
- 79 Lowther Road. Planning permission granted
- Communications Timetable. Items to John Barker by mid June
- Civic Voice. Newsletter distributed
- Bournemouth 20/26 No report.
- Bournemouth-in-Bloom. No report
- Activities Officer’s Report. No report
- Membership Officer’s Report. Nothing new.
- Webmaster’s Report. The website was moving to completion – hosting would cost £34.99 annually and registration of the name £15. Debbie Dupont would be the webmaster.
- Treasurer’s Report: Current account – £612.74; CAF account – £7,409.51
- Any Other Business.
17.1 Visit to Andrew England. The next visit would be on Friday 9th June, agenda items:
Westover Road Cinemas; Moorside Cottage; St Peter’s Road; Belvedere Hotel;
Wessex Hotel and adjacent car parks; Winter Gardens; Upper Terrace Road car park;
A338; Buddleia at the College; Retail Capacity Study; Future of the C1 Bus
The meeting closed at 15.30
26th June 2017 Chairman