Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road
at 2pm on Monday 23rd October 2017
Present:, Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), Beryl Parker (Social Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer,), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)
Welcome. The Chairman welcomed Peter Lucas.
- Apologies: John Barker (President) and James Weir (Heritage and Conservation
- The minutes for the meeting held on 25th September was agreed
- Matters Arising from the Minutes.
- In September 25th minutes the date of the LDF meeting should read 4th
- Local Development Framework. Next meeting 6th November
- Built Environment.
5,1 A338/Bournemouth Hospital. Local MPs have objected to Phase 2 and there are
queries as to possible pollution. Hilda to join Elaine at meetings of the campaign group.
- Heritage and Conservation.
- Westover Road Cinemas. No news.
- Cliff End Hotel. We are waiting details of a meeting with Meyrick estate and their architect.
- Boscombe and Pokesdown. No news.
- Echo Building. There had been an open day on 19th October at which imaginative plans for the future use of the building were put forward.
- See John Soane’s report:
- Winter Gardens. The revised plans showed improvements. The interior open space was good, but the proposed layout was too formal. The tower on the corner of Priory Road needed to be reduced. English Heritage had produced an excellent report and
its’ suggestions were hoped to be adopted by the developer.
- Hilton Hotel. The proposed transparent cube on the roof was acceptable
- 56 Christchurch Road. A redesign was needed for the suggested ‘fake Victorian’
flats, but the flats to replace the Coach House were acceptable
- 7 East Overcliff Drive. The revised plans were a big improvement
- 76 Wimborne Road. The propose1d development was too large – the top storey would ruin the streetscene.
- Planning Sub-Committee. The Society’s Planning Sub-Committee did not need to meet.
- Planning Board Observations. Sally attended the meeting on 16th October
- Tree Preservation Orders. Two orders were upheld.
- 7 South Road. Change of use to HMO was agreed
- 18-22a Studland Road. Plans for 2 blocks of flats (45 units) were refused
- 14-18 Wharfedale Road. Plans for 8 houses, 10 flats and 8 commercial units were
- 140 Alumhurst Road. Proposed alterations and extensions were refused
- 2 and 2a Fitzharris Avenue. Change of use from care home to HMO was refused
- 4 Glamis Avenue. Change of use to HMO was agreed
- 1 McWilliam Road. Erection of two houses was approved
- 105 Parkway Drive. Alterations and extensions were approved
- Communications Timetable. Contributions to John Barker by end of
- Civic Voice. Communications had been distributed.
- Bournemouth 2026 AGM at the Pavilion on 20th November
- South/South East Award Ceremony at Effingham. Some 100 members
attended. Bournemouth won 23 gold and 2 silver gilt. Unlike other towns,
Bournemouth arranged for the ‘workers’ to collect the individual awards to acknowledge their work and importance
- Activities Officer’s Report.
- Christmas Lunch. Bookings were good
- Soup and Sandwich. The October event was enjoyed by all who attended . The
November lunch would see the return of a popular speaker whose previous talk was
spoiled by the lack of black-out in the room.
- Membership Officer’s Report. One new member – Jean Edwards
- Webmaster’s Report. The website was ‘up and running’
- Treasurer’s Report: Current account – £2,762.16, CAF account – £7,410.41. Peter had received a £112.50 gift aid payment
- Any Other Business.
17.1 Visit to Andrew England. Next meeting on Friday 1st December. Items for discussion to include Bournemouth Hospital Link Road, the use of landing stages on Bournemouth Pier by Waverley and Balmoral and the removal of cherry
trees in Castle Lane.
- Peer Review of the Planning Board. John Barker would represent the Society at the
Peer Review on 6th November.
- The Buddleia had been removed from the Lansdowne College and the
Lansdowne Road car parks had been made ‘Traveller-proof’!
- Planning Board Observers. Observers at Planning Board meetings (third Monday
of each month – but check for start time):
December John S
February Peter Lucas
April John S
June Peter L
September John B
19 Next Meetings. The next meeting would be on 27th November at 18 Sandbourne Road
The meeting closed at 15.15