Exec Committee Minutes

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 24th April 2017

 Present: John Barker (President), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer,), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)

 Apologies:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), Beryl Parker (Social Secretary) and James Weir (Heritage

     and Conservation Officer)

     Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 27th March 2017 were held over to the May

meeting as not all members had received a copy.

  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes.  There were no matters arising.
  2. Local Development Framework.  No report
  3. Built Environment.

5.1       Hospital Access from the A338 Spur Road.  Elaine was monitoring this.

5.2       Moorside Cottage.  The cottage, originally two dwellings, was a Grade II thatched property originally constructed in 17th or early 18th Century.  It had been unoccupied for the past 25 years and was in poor condition.  The application to build three houses in the grounds to provide funds for the restoration would result in a significant degradation of the visual and spatial context and should be refused.  The Society wanted the property to be restored to its’ original two dwellings without the   need for new construction

5.3       Wharfdale Road Business Units.  The Society had been asked to investigate the proposal to convert

            No 20 from commercial use to a church.

5.4       Talbot Woods (Richard Carr).  The Society supported local residents’ objections.  The latest plan for 50 flats contravene1d all planning precepts

  1.   Heritage and Conservation.  No report
  2.      Planning.  See John Soane’s report:

7.1               247 Charminster Road.  The visually harmonious block of flats proposed should be allowed.

7.2               32 Markham Avenue. The requested 4 bungalows was too much for the site, 2/3 could be

acceptable

7.3               56 Richmond Park Avenue.  The request to allow renovation and increase in internal space, with no

change to the frontage, improved the property and should be allowed

7.4               15 Robert Louis Stephenson Avenue.  The plan to extend the High Victorian semi-detached house

would ruin the back of the property and should be rejected.

7.5                                      69 Kimberley Road.  The proposed extension to take all the garden.  Should be rejected.

7.6                                      Iford Lane.  Plans were not available for the plan to replace a house with flats

 

  1. Planning Sub-Committee.  The Planning Sub-Committee will meet in the Echo Building for a

    tour on 3rd May

 

  1. Planning Board Observation. 

9.1               84-94 Shelborne Road.  Plans to replace garages with 3 small houses was agreed.

9.2               Rosslyn Hotel.  The replacement of a flue (to reduce fumes) was agreed.

9.3               1 Westover Road (formerly Austin Reed).  The Board agreed an exceptional alteration from retail to restaurant for this site, stressing that this was the only exception that would be permitted.

 

  1.  Communications Timetable.  Nothing new.

 

  1.    Civic Voice. 

11.1           50 Years of Conservation Areas.  Ken had approached Caroline Peach with the suggestion that the Civic Society and Planning Department mount a joint display of the town’s conservation areas

during Dorset Architectural Week in September or Bournemouth Arts by the Sea Festival in October.

 11.2    Insurance.  The Committee voted to renew the insurance with Civic Voice

 

  1. Bournemouth 20/26   No report.

 

  1. Bournemouth-in-Bloom.  No report

 

  1. Activities Officer’s Report.  It was understood that the April Lunch at the Hinton Firs Hotel

had been very successful

 

  1. Membership Officer’s Report.  Nothing new.

 

15.1           Webmaster’s Report.  Progress on the new website was good and it should be possible to launch it in May.  Members were asked to submit photos and letters after their name

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report:  Current account – £1,333.27; CAF account – £7,408.00

 

16.1           Annual General Meeting.  This was considered to have been most successful.  The changed arrangements were an improvement and James Weir’s presentation was excellent.  Thanks to Debbie  for supervising the event so well

 

  1. Any Other Business.

 19.1    Visit to Andrew England.  The next visit would be on Friday 9th June – agenda items at May

            meeting

 19.2    Dorset Architectural Week would take place in September

 19.3    Car Parks.  Usage of St Stephen’s Road, Terrace Gardens and Southbourne Crossroads car parks was insufficient to make them viable – hence the plans to build on all or part of them

  The meeting closed at 15.00           

            

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 27th March 2017

 Present: John Barker (President), Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer,), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)

 

  1. Apologies:  Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Beryl Parker (Social Secretary) and James 

    Weir (Heritage and Conservation Officer)

    

  1. Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 27th February 2017 were agreed.

 

  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes.

3.1      Waste Management Plan.  Ken reported that this was satisfactory

 

  1. Local Development Framework. There will be a briefing on 7th April

 

  1. Built Environment.

5.1                   Wessex Hotel.  Nothing new

5.2                   Belvedere Hotel.  See the report on the meeting with Andrew England (previously circulated).

5.3       Hospital Access from the A338 Spur Road.  Plans seem to be satisfactory.

5.4       Moorside Cottage.  The plans had been deferred. John S agreed to check then and comment as

            necessary.

5.6       Undisclosed Building.  Peter Tisdale of  THAT Group would meet with the Planning Sub-Committee (Ken, John S, James, John B and Elaine on 3rd April at 9.30am to discuss his plans.

 

  1.   Heritage and Conservation

6.1               Westover Road Cinemas. 

6.1.1     Odeon.  Decision on the listing appeal was awaited.  Otherwise nothing new

6.1.2     ABC.  There were currently no known plans for this building

6.2               Victorian Shelter on West Cliff.  £20,000 was needed to carry out necessary renovation and the

Society had been aske1d for financial support.  Deferred.

6.3               Golden Anniversary of Conservation Areas.  Ken and James would discuss.

6.4               Winton Local Plan.  Plans for the former post office and fire station were awaited.

6.5               Pokesdown Local Plan – 860-882 Christchurch Road

 

  1.      Planning.  See John Soane’s report:

7.1               10-12 Lorne Park Road.  The submitted plan for 15 flats was ‘awful’.  The site should be

developed between the neighbouring Arts and Crafts and modern buildings

7.2               North Road Coal Yard.  The layout for 60 dwellings was OK, but the design were banal, an

improvement to the fenestration would help

7.3               Adjoining 8 Branksome Dene Road.  The submitted plan was to replace a large house with two small, well designed cottages.  There were 51 letters of objection.  This plan was not

appropriate for the area and could lead to a rash of similar proposals.

7.4                                      1 Poole Road.  An elegant and desirable plan for 15 flats

7.5                                      Wharfedale Road.  The plans for the former West Station Rail Yard were an in appropriate

mix of residential and commercial properties.  A rethink was essential, this site should be for

commercial not residential development

7.6                                      79 Lowther Road.  The proposal for a 6 flat extension would lead to degradation of the area

 

  1. Planning Sub-Committee.  The Planning Sub-Committee did not meet.

 

  1. Planning Board Observation. 

9.1               194 Charminster Road.  The planned extension was approved despite objections

9.2               Planning Appeals.  The success rate of appeals from Bournemouth was better than the national average

 

  1. Communications Timetable.  Nothing new.

 

  1.   Civic Voice.  Publications had been distributed.

 

  1. Bournemouth 20/26   No report.

 

  1. Bournemouth-in-Bloom.  No report

 

  1. Activities Officer’s Report.  No report
  2. Membership Officer’s Report.  Two deaths had been notified

 

  1. Webmaster’s Report.  No report

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report:  No report

 

  1. Annual General Meeting.  All arranged

 

  1. Any Other Business.

 19.1    Visit to Andrew England.  See John Barker’s report, previously circulated

 19.2    Bournemouth CVS.  Renewal of membership was agreed.

 19.3    Dorset History Network.  A 10th Anniversary meeting would be held in Dorchester on 8th April

  The meeting closed at 15.00                       

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 27th February 2017

 

  1. Present: John Barker (President), Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), Beryl Parker (Social

Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer,) James Weir (Heritage and Conservation Officer), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)

 

  1. Apologies:  Hilda Brownlow,

    

  1. Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 23rd January 2017 were agreed.

 

  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes.

4.1       Closure of Lansdowne Road.  Sally reported that she had learnt that the closure of 

            the road over the Christmas and New Year’s Eve and the resulting bus re-directioning

            was due to road works and so didn’t need to be raised at the next meeting with

            Andrew England.

 

  1. Local Development Framework.  Ken noted that there had been a meeting in

          last week regarding the Local Plan Review and the Government’s new Housing White

            Paper discussed. He had been unable to attend due to work commitments but had

            circulated the papers

 

  1. Built Environment.

5.1                   Wessex Hotel.  It was felt that from the recent meeting with Andrew England and Carolyn Peach that the Planning Department supported our contention that the case for demolition had not been proved and rehabilitation of the existing building should

            be the first option.

5.2                   Belvedere Hotel.  A special meeting of the Planning Board held on 23rd January

            approved the plans. The timing of redevelopment of the existing dilapidated buildings

            (hopefully soon) would be queried at the next meeting with Andrew England.

5.3       Hospital Access from the A338 Spur Road.  Technical studies were taking place

and there were workshops in neighbouring areas to present the plans to the public.

5.4       Branksome Hill Road.  Richard Carr was appealing the refusal of permission.

5.5       Moorside Cottage.  The plans had been deferred. John S agreed to check then and

            comment as necessary.

5.6       Undisclosed Building.  Peter Tisdale of THAT Group had sought a meeting with the Planning Sub-Committee (Ken, John S, James, John B and Elaine on 3rd April at 930am to discuss his plans.

 

 

 

 

  1.     Heritage and Conservation

6.1               Westover Road Cinemas. 

6.1.1     Odeon.  A decision on the listing appeal was awaited.  It was felt that the plans submitted to date were unlikely to be approved by the Planning Board hence the informal presentation of them to last week’s Planning Board meeting being  withdrawn.  Ideally if the developer did not come up with sympathetic proposals a Trust would be created to convert the building as a cultural centre or museum with

ancilliary retail uses.

6.1.2     ABC.  There were currently no known plans for this building

6.2               Boscombe and Pokesdown Plan.  The Heritage Policy was being developed

6.3               Victorian Shelter on West Cliff.  £20,000 was needed to carry out necessary

renovation. Beryl would obtain further details so the level of support by Civic Society

could be discussed.

6.4               Golden Anniversary of Conservation Areas.  Ken and James would discuss.

6.5               Winton Local Plan.  The first meeting had been held.  Local enthusiasm very good. Elaine might volunteer to be Civic Soc rep. on the local cttee.

 

  1.      Planning.  See John Soane’s report:

7.1               Punshon.  The application should be refused

7.2               54 Elgin Road.  There had been 37 letters of objection to the plans.

7.3               3 Wickham Road.  There had been 18 letters of objection to the over-sized fake ‘Arts

and Crafts’ flatlet block

7.4                                      212 Malvern Road.  The plan to replace a much-needed corner shop with a block of

4 flats was unnecessary and should be refused.

7.5                                      8 Wimborne Road.  The plan to renovate a derelict Victorian house into  14

            flats built in character should be permitted.

7.6                                      Strouden Road Builder’s Yard.    The plan for staggered houses was unacceptable

7.7                                      6-10 North Avenue.  The plan for 9 terrace houses was satisfactory.

 

  1. Planning Sub-Committee.  The Planning Sub-Committee, (Ken, James and John

     B had a very satisfactory meeting with Andrew England and Caroline Peach on 20th

      Feb.

 

  1. Planning Board Observation.  The Board was not attended (nominated

    committee member was Andre Thomas who had since resigned and no cover had

      been arranged. Forthcoming months attendees were confirmed by Jean.

 

  1. Communications Timetable.  The AGM agenda had been distributed.  Copy

    date for the Summer edition of the Newsletter was 30th June

 

  1. Civic Voice.  Publications had been distributed, membership would be renewed to  

     support the national campaign group and of the availability of affordable insurance

 

  1. Bournemouth 20/26   The Newsletter had been received

 

  1. Bournemouth-in-Bloom.  Beryl gave an update on recent and upcoming       

        actions including :

13.1           Bournemouth Hospital Orchard Garden.  Taken a leading role in the development

of this new garden

13.2           Various Sites.  Cleaned and planted neglected plots adjacent to Bournemouth College, The Victorian Shelter and Westbourne Marks and Spencer’s

 

  1. Activities Officers’ Reports. 

 14.1    Christmas Lunch,   The lunch was voted the ‘best ever’ but the Miramar Hotel

moved the event from the Oak Room to the Dining Room (which had to be vacated by 3pm) without notice.  The same was forecast for 2017 so it was decided to move

the event to the Connaught Hotel

  14.2   Soup and Sandwiches Talks.  These monthly events at the Hinton Firs Hotel were

            attracting increased numbers and an additional April event was no planned

 14.3    2018 Outings.  Suggestions for 2018 included a visit to Crichel House and a guided         tour of Bournemouth Churches

 

  1. Membership Officer’s Report.  There were still a number of outstanding

    renewals – some would pay at the AGM

 

  1. Webmaster’s Report.  It was agreed that the sum of £1,800 should be paid to the

    developer of the new site in recognition of his work.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report:  Current Account – £2556.37, CAF Account – £7,408.60. 

The annual accounts were in the course of preparation and would be presented to the AGM 

 

  1. Annual General Meeting.  See the January minutes. All in hand and Debbie

     would cover for Beryl.

 

  1. Any Other Business.

 19.1    Visit to Andrew England.  The next meeting with Andrew England would be at 11am on

            Friday 3rd March when items to be discussed would include:

  • Planning Conventions to be observed by the new Authority after reorganisation
  • Local Plan Review
  • The Belvedere Hotel
  • Westover Road Cinemas
  • Winter Gardens
  • Hospital Access from the A338 Spur Road
  • Burlington Arcade – the board in the listed entrance from Old Christchurch Road
  • Lansdowne College plant (Britain in Bloom 2017 route)
  • Development plans for Bath Road Car Parks
  • Aqua centre on the West Cliff Promenade (new development)
  • Cliff End Hotel
  • Closure of Public Toilets at Southbourne Crossroads

  19.2   Waste Management.  Ken would investigate

  19.3   Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch Planning Guide

 

  The meeting closed at 15.20                       

 

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at St Peter’s Church at 2pm on Monday 23rd January 2017

Present: John Barker (President), Ken Mantock (Chairman), Hilda Brownlow,   Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer) and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)

  1. Apologies:  Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Elaine Cooper, Beryl Parker (Social

Secretary), and James Weir (Heritage and Conservation Officer)

  1.   The minutes for the meeting held on 7th November were agreed
  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes.  There were no matters arising.
  1. Local Development Framework.  Nothing to report as there hasn’t been an      

            LDF meeting recently.

  1. Built Environment.

5.1                   Durley Road Flats (BDC) Revised plans were awaited.

5.2                   Belvedere Hotel.  A special meeting of the Planning Board was being held this afternoon with a recommendation to approve. The design had been revised twice and the Society had supported the application.

5.3       Hospital Access from the Spur Road . The proposals for road works and accessways through the green belt at Riverside Avenue would be monitored and commented on when the public consultation process begins.

5.4       St Stephen’s Road Flats (BDC). The revised scheme was better suited to the site, retained more trees and gave a better backdrop to the streetscene and adjacent St Stephens Church.

5.5       Winter Gardens. The latest proposals seemed to far better represent our aspirations for the site in terms of tree retention, building lines, open space between buildings and overall impact. Heights of some blocks might be better a little lower.

  1.   Heritage and Conservation
    • Westover Road Cinemas. The request for listing was rejected, probably because the

latest papers had not been studied as fully as we would have hoped.  James was  

querying this decision.  The original plans and even more surprizing second plans

submitted by the developers would be discussed by members of our Planning sub-

committee on 20th February with Andrew England.

  • Boscombe and Pokesdown Plan. The next meeting to consider the plan was

scheduled for 8th February and James was helping with the Heritage Policies.

  • Victorian Shelter on West Cliff. There was a suggestion that the shelter might be

moved.  The Society would support the local residents association’s efforts to have it 

retained and refurbished.

6.4       Golden Anniversary of Conservation Areas.  This occurs in 2017 and we ought to 

            publicise the history and features within Bournemouth CAs. Ken and James to

            discuss.

  1.        See John Soane’s report:
    • Lansdowne Drill Hall. Development of flats and shops acceptable
    • 5 Ferncroft Road. The proposal for 4 houses on the site of a bungalow was tight, but acceptable
    • 17 Howarth Road. A proposal to build a bungalow in the garden, should be refused

as the site is too small 

  • 938-946 Ringwood Road. The plan for 15 flats was excessive for the site.
  • 59-61 St Alban’s Avenue. The proposed 17 flat block was overbearing.  To reduce

            the impact the development should be in two blocks.

  • 38 Southbourne Grove. The proposal to build a house on a commercial site should

            be refused

  • 181 Holdenhurst Road. As above.
  • Branksome Hill Road. The proposed 5 houses and 20 flats was far too much for the

site and should be refused

  • 140-142 Holdenhurst Road (South Western Hotel). This site should be retained as

an inn/restaurant and the conversion to 20 student flats was inappropriate.

  • 241 Charminster Road. The proposed 7 flats needed design improvements
  • 56 Christchurch Road. The proposed 32 flats should be allowed after improvement

to the overbearing architecture

  • Roland House, Hinton Road. The proposed extra two storeys was too much, but an

additional single storey would improve the building

  • 91 Curzon Road. The proposed single house should be permitted as an exception.
  • 15 Glenferness Avenue. An ‘Arts and Crafts’ design for the proposed 10 flats would

      be more suitable for the site.

  • 17 Wimborne Road. The design for 9 flats was banal, redesign was needed.
  • 1374 Christchurch Road. There had been 33 objections to this Housing Association

proposal to build 18 flats, it should be rejected.

  • 9 Walpole Road. The proposal for 4 houses would lead to overcrowding, one pair of

semi-detached houses would be appropriate for the site.

  • 64 Irving Road. The plan to build 5 houses should be refused – too crowded.
  • 9 Merlewood Close. The proposed 7 flat building was overbearing and should be

      again refused

  • 5 Florence Road. The plan for 9 flats was acceptable
  • Wessex Hotel. The plans to demolish the Hotel and rebuild to include flats was

            inappropriate for the area. 

  1. Planning Board Observation.  John S reported:
    • Winter Gardens. There was a presentation on the latest scheme.  There was more open space, but the height of the towers needed to be reduced together with a change

from the asymmetric fenestration

  • Bus Station – Casino. The Council had no power to refuse a casino on the site, but it

would have a separate entrance

  • St Stephen’s Road Flats. They were approved on 16th January, but with the building moved back from the road and with increased tree cover between the flats and the

Church

  • 2 Wilfred Road. Permission was granted for the conversion of a coach house to residential use
  1. Communications Timetable.  The Newsletter had been distributed
  1. Civic Voice.  Publications had been distributed
  1. Bournemouth 20/26   Nothing to report
  1. Bournemouth-in-Bloom.  The AGM would be held at the Miramar Hotel on

2nd March, followed with a Black Tie Dinner at Highcliffe Castle in May

  1. Activities Officers’ Reports.  The Committee expressed their delight that  

Beryl would be receiving her well deserved ‘Citizen’s Award’ at the Palace of

Westminster later this week.

  1. Membership Officer’s Report.  Sally would be sending subscription

Reminders with the AGM notice.

  1. Webmaster’s Report. The website was ‘work in progress’
  2. Treasurer’s Report: Current Account – £2,765.67, CAF Account – £7,408.60.  The annual accounts were in the course of preparation.  The account signatories agreed at previous meetings had now been confirmed by the banks.
  1. Annual General Meeting. This would be at 6.30 for 7pm on Monday 3rd April at the Connaught Hotel with coffee on arrival.  The hotel would be asked to provide round tables, rather than rows of chairs and seating for 50. Following the formal business James Weir would make a presentation on The Regent Cinema and his investigations into the remaining historic fabric.
  1. Any Other Business.

18.1     Closure of Lansdowne Road.  Sally informed the committee that Lansdowne Road Slip Road to the railway station had been closed on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve causing considerable difficulty for bus passengers.  This would be raised with Andrew England.

18.2     Inaccessibilty of The Square Seats.  Sally informed the committee that on a number of occasions during the Christmas period the commemorative seats opposite Tesco had been blocked by commercial operations.  This meant that seats which were regularly and frequently used were not available at these times

The meeting closed at 15.15        .  There wer3C/strong>

 

                                                                                                                        Ken Mantock

27th February 2017                                                                                         Chairman

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 28th November 2016

Present:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer), and Paul Newsome (Minutes

Secretary).

  1. Apologies:  John Barker (President and Newsletter Editor), Hilda Brownlow, Beryl Parker (Social

 Secretary), and James Weir (Heritage and Conservation Officer)

  1.     Minutes.   The minutes for the meeting on 24th October were agreed.
  2. Matters Arising from the Minutes:  There were no matters arising
  3.      Local Development Framework.   Nothing to report
  4. Heritage and Conservation.

   5.1      Odeon Cinemas.  The ACV nomination was refused by the  Council, but James has challenged this.  Historic England has confirmed that the request for listing is with DCMS awaiting a final decision. In December James is meeting a representative of the Architectural Heritage Fund seeking advice about setting up a building preservation trust specific to the Odeon.  He has also been in touch with

               SAVE Britain’s Heritage who are discussing how they may be able to assist.

  • Boscombe and Pokesdown Local Plan. James has been invited to speak at the meeting on 7th  

      December on heritage issues.

  • Lush, Old Christchurch Road.  The Company has taken care to restore the dignity of the facade
  • 80-82 Old Christchurch Road.  The Council have confirmed that they are not chasing  the owners

     with the intention of having more suitable shop fronts installed

  1.   See John Soane’s report.
    • Palmerston Road Car Park.  The proposed development is satisfactory – restrained but mundane.
    • 32-34 Paddington Grove.  The plan to demolish two houses and build two ‘Arts and Crafts’

     replacements was acceptable.

  • Malvern Road.  The proposed flat block was fine at the front, but the roof at the rear needed

Improvement

  • New Road.  The proposed ‘Voysey’ style building will fit in well
  • Lowther Road.  The proposed extension at the rear was excessive and would spoil the proportions
  • Huntley Road.  The plan for a half timbered house would ruin the balance in the road
  1. Civic Society Planning Sub-Committee.  The sub-committee did not meet this month.
  2. Planning Board.  Elaine attended the November meeting:
    • Update on Durley Road Car Park.  The intention is to build 44 flats with 41 parking spaces.  The

aim is to enhance the design especially the roof, but this was not being achieved and there are

concerns at loss of parking spaces. Goes to Planning Board in December

  • Glenville Road/Columbia Road.  This is a garden in-fill surrounded by residences.  Access via

Columbia Gardens is narrow.  Reluctant approval on condition that house is built above the flood

Level

 

  • 12 Richmond Park Crescent.  Plan for a 3 bed flat and 5 room HMO.  Residents unhappy about the

HMO.  Passed

  • Rear of 6 Pine Vale Crescent.  Application to build a bungalow was refused due to the very narrow

plot

  • Casino in Exeter Road.  The decision on this application was deferred.
  • 20 Purbeck Road.  Plan for 5 flats was approved despite very small rooms (no national standard)
  1.   Communications Timetable.   The newsletter deadline was 4th December
  • Civic Voice.  Nominations for Civic Trust Awards were:
  • Drawing Studio, Arts University Bournemouth
  • The Fusion Building, Bournemouth University
  • Bridport Household Recycling Centre
  1. Bournemouth 2026 . Elaine attended the AGM at which they decided on three priority areas:
  • Boscombe
  • West Howe
  • Improvement in the Quality of Life for Young People
  1. Bournemouth in Bloom. Nothing new
  2. Activities Officer’s Report
    • 2017 Programme. Beryl had published the programme for 2017 which would be included in the

     next newsletter

  1. Membership Officer’s Report. Nothing to report
  2. Webmaster’s Report. James had experienced difficulties and a change of supplier was

necessary.  Alex Stathopoulos, the Bournemouth in Bloom webmaster had been approached.  As

reported in October, £150 would be paid to the previous supplier for work done.

  1. Treasurer’s Report:

 16.1   Current Account.  The current account had a credit of £2,952.67; CAF balance £7,407.04.

   16.2  Gift Aid.  £119 had been received as a gift aid refund

  1. Any Other Business

17.1    Andrew England.  The topics discussed with Andrew England included:

  • Reshaping Local Councils
  • Winter Gardens (concerns with design)
  • ‘Improvements’ (Pedestrianisation) of Beales Place
  • Pavilion Gardens (funded by Winter Gardens?)
  • Westover Road development (waiting for Historic England decision)
  • Casino (Council has no grounds to block the application)
  • Christmas Ice Rink – sale of alcohol
  1. Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at St Peter’s Church on Monday 23rd January

 

   There being no more business the meeting was closed at 15.00

===============================================================================                                                                                                                  

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road at 2pm on Monday 24th October 2016

 Present:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), John Barker (President and Newsletter Editor), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), Beryl Parker (Social Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary).

Apologies:  Hilda Brownlow and James Weir (Heritage & Conservation Officer)

Local Government Reorganisation. 

Before the formal meeting, Tony Williams, CEO of Bournemouth Borough Council, explained the reasons why a reorganisation of local government in Dorset was essential.  All councils had seen a significant cut in government funding, this had hit the County particularly hard, with the Districts suffering less than the unitary authorities.  A single council for the whole County was not considered to be practical, but two unitary authorities, one in the east and one in the west was considered to be the best way forward.  In the East, an authority including Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch was not only workable but would include all the facilities desirable for a large authority – port, airport, university, heritage and a vibrant tourist culture.  The inclusion of East Dorset would strengthen this authority, but would leave West Dorset struggling in a rural area with a sparse population.  Tony explained that the options were listed as 2A – Bournemouth, Christchurch, Poole and East Dorset or 2B – the authority without East Dorset.  Following questions from the Committee, Tony confirmed that matters such as planning would be dealt with by local sub-committees.  In a vote, after Tony had left, 4 members of the committee voted for 2A, three for 2B and 1 absented from the vote.

Minutes.

      The minutes for the meeting on 22nd September were agreed.

   Matters Arising from the Minutes:  There were no matters arising

Local Development Framework.  

     Ken reported that there was a meeting on 10th October at     which the latest local development scheme was discussed and the evolution of the LDF to a Borough  Plan explained.  It was agreed that once the proposals were publicised the Society set up a working   party to comment on  current ‘saved’ policies and any necessary new ones so that conservation,  heritage and development control policies were not weakened..

 Heritage and Conservation.  

5.1               Odeon Cinemas. An ACV has been lodged and relisting application submitted.  No response yet.

5.2               80-82 Old Christchurch Road.  Council unwilling to take enforcement action.  A meeting has been

offered to James

5.3               7-11 Poole Hill.   No reply yet concerning demolition works

5.4               Boscombe and Pokesdown Local Plan. James had attended and our support welcomed.

Planning.   See John Soane’s report.

6.1               Winter Gardens. 

John B, Ken and James had seen Toby and Duncan of BDC and Jean and David and Elaine had attended the presentation at the Hilton Hotel on 20th October where there was a 3D model backed by knowledgeable staff from the Bournemouth Development Company.  The proposal was for 400 units (1, 2 and 3 bedroom apartments) in 3 buildings with underground car parking.  Most of the currently treed area would be retained.  Overall the design was considered appropriate for the site and much better than previous schemes.  John S would check the plans for comment.

6.2               Wessex Hotel. 

Plans for re-build/upgrade would be on show at the Hallmark Hotel on 27th October at John S and Elaine would attend.

6.3               45a-47a Branksome Wood Road. 

Plans for 14 flats was uninspiring and did not fit with the

surroundings.  16 letters of complaint.  Should be refused.

6.4               1 Lorne Park Road. 

Current building should be preserved, plans were inappropriate

6.5                Belvedere Hotel. 

Ken, James and Elaine had met the architect and viewed the plans which they generally welcomed and thought worthy of support. John S thought the plans included an impressive tower but architectural divisions were needed to break up the horizontal dominance of the main block.  The architect had invited suggestions. JS would follow up.

6.6               54 Elgin Road.

There were many objections to the plan to replace the substantial Arts & Crafts house.  Should be refused

6.7               47-49 Withermoor Road. 

The proposed 6 houses were an awful design

6.8               Corner Burnaby and Studland Road. 

An acceptable design

6.9               Chequers Hotel, West Cliff Road.

The suggested overblown Victorian mansion block was

In-appropriate for a site which should be the entrance to the historic West Cliff

6.10           2 West Hill Road.  The fake Tudor style proposed development was an improvement

Planning Board. 

Sally attended the October meeting and reported as follows:

7.1        Belvedere Hotel.  This was an updated presentation.

7.2        Jecco House, Boscombe Grove Road.  This deferred outline plan was agreed

7.3        6 Priestley Road.  The request for change of use to HMO was agreed.

7.4        8 Warren Edge Road.  The application for a 3 storey block of 7 dwellings was agreed

Communications Timetable.   The newsletter deadline was 4th December

 Civic Voice.  The Convention report had been circulated.

Bournemouth 2026 .  At the AGM on 23rd November plans for reshaping the councils would be

the main topic.

Bournemouth in Bloom.  Local presentations were made on 12th October.  Bournemouth won

the Gold award for a large city in the South East.  Beryl won an award for the best back garden

Activities Officer’s Report

12.1       Lunches.  27 attended the October lunch and there were 27 bookings for November.  There were

still places available for the Christmas lunch (£26) 

Membership Officer’s Report.   Nothing to report

 Webmaster’s Report.  It was agreed that £150 should be paid for work done

Treasurer’s Report:

 15.1    Current Account.  The current account had a credit of £1,995.57; CAF balance £7,403.31.

 15.2    Signatories.  Signatories for the current account should be any two of the President, Chairman, Jean and Beryl and for the CAF account should be the President and Jean

Any Other Business

16.1    Andrew England.  The next meeting would be on Friday 11th November

Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at 18 Sandbourne Road on Monday 28th November

 

   There being no more business the meeting was closed at 16.10

===============================================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 22nd September 2016

 Present: Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath, John Soane, James Weir.

Apologies: John Barker (President), Ken Mantock (Chairman), Beryl Parker, Paul Newsome.

Minutes: The minutes of the 22nd August meeting were presented to the meeting and accepted as a true record.

Matters Arising: There were none.

Local Development Framework: No news. Next meeting October.

Built Environment: Pavilion Gardens’ project meeting was attended by James who reported that the plans are vague and still open for discussion.

Heritage and Conservation: Updates:

 

Odeon: Application for ACV now being considered. James’ Historic Building Assessment is now in its final stages. He will send this to Historic England to assist with their re-assessment of the building. Much of the 1929 area is still intact.

6-8 Southbourne Grove: BBC does not appear to consider the windows of significance. James will write to the Victorian Society about this.

80-82 Old Christchurch Road: BBC seem more concerned about the shop front than the windows.

St Peter’s Hall: James has completed a Historic Record of the building which he has submitted to the Central Library for their archives.

Poole Hill/West Hill Road demolition: A reply is awaited from BBC regarding this demolition.

Denham House: James commented on his personal letter of objection.

Planning Applications: See John Soane’s digest.

Roland House, Hinton Road: The proposed extension would create a top heavy appearance and should be refused.

Woodland Point, Wootton Mount: The building would be out of proportion with the surrounding buildings and should therefore be refused.

8-10 Yelverton Road: The creativity of the original design of the building would be considerably reduced by the proposed extension. Defer for further discussion.

Durley Road Car Park: Latest plans generally acceptable but further changes in details desirable including a reduction in height. Defer for further discussion.

St Stephens Car Park: Plans now generally acceptable but some slight changes desirable. Also a reduction in height of the lesser block. Defer for discussion.

33 Grand Avenue: The design generally acceptable but the visual character of the Avenue would be degraded by the proposed building. 31 letters of objection. Refuse.

23-23a Bournemouth Arcade: This imaginative restoration is excellent. It is recommended to grant.

33-35 Old Christchurch Road, McDonalds: This ‘corporate reimaging’ would be visually inappropriate in this location. Rejection of this project is strongly urged.    

 Planning Sub-Committee: Next meeting Monday, 17th October.

 Planning Board: Sally to attend the next Planning Board on 17th October.

 

Elaine attended the September meeting and reported as follows:

There were just two items on the agenda:

3 Chapel Gardens: This was an addition of a pair of semi-detached houses to a back-garden in-fill development at the rear of 520 Charminster Road. There were 13 letters of objection but the only issues taken up by the Board related to trees and car parking. The application was granted.

19 Rothesay Road: An application for alterations and extension to a dwelling house in the conservation area. This was a revised application after an initial refusal. There was a very passionate objection by the Ward Councillor concerning the reduction of quality of buildings in the conservation area. In spite of this, the application was granted with minor conditions regarding the boundary wall.

Timetable – Communications: No new information.

Civic Voice: No report.

Bournemouth 2026: Not covered at the meeting but the CS had been sent an invitation by 2026 to attend a consultation on Reshaping the Council to be held on 4th October. Elaine has registered to attend.

Bournemouth in Bloom: Beryl was absent awaiting admittance to hospital. Invitations have gone out for the Awards Ceremony to be held on 12th October at the Hallmark Hotel on Durley Road.

Activities Report:

Outings: Currently there is no list but the President is to liaise with John Jones with regard to the Bournemouth & Beyond coach trips.

Lunches: Tickets for the Christmas lunch have already sold well.

Imogen Batty will substitute for Beryl at the Soup & Sandwich lunches in October and November

Membership: No change.

Webmaster’s Report: James is working on our webpage. As some members of the committee do not wish to have personal details included he is re-thinking the ‘bios’.

Treasurer’s Report: There is a balance of £7403.31 in the account. The change of signatories of the cheques to be ratified.

Any Other Business:

Jean drew our attention to two lectures on the Wimborne Civic Society programme during October.

James commented on the Pokesdown Forum to be held on 6th October which he may attend.

Next Meeting: The next meeting will be held at 18 Sandbourne Road at 2 pm on 24th October.

Tony Williams, CEO of BBCouncil, will attend to speak on the Reshaping of the Councils.

================================================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at St Peter’s Church

at 2pm on Monday 25th July 2016

 

Present:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), John Barker (President and Newsletter Editor), Sally Mc Grath (Membership Secretary),  John Soane (Built Environment Officer), James Weir (Heritage & Conservation Officer) and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary).

Apologies:  Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper and Beryl Parker (Social

Secretary).  Andre Thomas (Webmaster) had resigned.

  1. 2.   The minutes for the meeting on 27th June were agreed.
  2. Matters Arising from the Minutes:  There were no matters arising
  3. Local Development Framework.    The next meeting would be in October.
  4.     Built Environment.  

5.1               Pedestrianisation (Beales).  The Trial Scheme was being progressed by the Council.

5.2               St Peter’s Hall.  Demolition was going ahead but James had secured a good deal of coverage in the Echo on the fate of the building. The correspondence from the Council didn’t really seem to

appreciate how the heritage asset should have been considered.

5.3               Traditional Windows and Shopfront.  No reply to James’ letter and guidance notes from the

Council yet.

5.4               80-82 Old Christchurch Road. No reply to James’ letter regarding the unauthorised upvc windows

from the Council yet so has been chased.

5.5               Westover Road Cinemas.  No news, memos had been sent to the council. James was liaising with

5.6               Marcus of the local campaign group.

5.7               Vandale House.  Application to add two storeys had been refused.

5.8               Bournemouth Planning Conventions.  It was essential that Bournemouth’s planning conventions

 be retained if and when the neighbouring councils were combined in a new Super Council. Ken had

emailed the Council offering dates when they could meet with us.

  1. Planning.   See John Soane’s report.

6.1               University Social Health Facility.  The University insisted on retaining the inappropriate glass

blocks – a ‘commercialisation of architecture’ John thinks.

6.2               8-10 Madeira Road.  The plan for the last remaining site in the road was a ‘massive bulk’ and

would ruin the townscape.

6.3               46 Southbourne Coast Road.  The proposed two town houses should be replaced with chalet

bungalows

6.4                51-53 Shelburne Road.  The plan for 3 houses (garden development) was satisfactory.

6.5               25 McKinley Road.  The proposed extensions to an Arts and Crafts House lacked balance and

should be refused.  There had been 20 written objections.

6.6               13 Glenferness Avenue.  The proposed flats would be out of character with existing properties on

both sided.  Should be replaced with a1930s-style Arts and Crafts house.

6.7               9 Grand Avenue.  A welcome good design

 

  1. Planning Board.  Sally and James attended the July meeting meeting and reported as follows:

7.1        Belvedere Hotel.  This was a pre-application presentation proposing a hotel with 130 beds and a

separate block of 70 flats.

7.2        26 Porchester Road.  The tree preservation order was confirmed

7.3        18-22 Parley Road.  The application for 3 bungalows was approved following an appeal

7.4        139-141 Southbourne Overcliff Drive.  The outline application to replace two bungalows with flats

was agreed.

7.5       10 Queens Road.  The application to convert a restaurant into a micro-pub was granted

7.6       140 Alumhurst Road.  This was an application for alterations and extensions to a dwelling house.

  1. Communications Timetable.   The newsletter had been drafted and would be printed and

distributed  in August. Ken would liaise with John B to collate the contributions from him, John S

and James.

  1. Civic Voice.  Newsletters circulated.
  2. Bournemouth 2026 . Summer newsletter received.,
  3. Activities Officers’ Reports:

11.1       Outings.  Plans for the Autumn and Winter would be included with the Newsletter. 

11.2       Bournemouth and Beyond.  The President would liaise with John Jones of ‘B and B’

  1. Membership Officer’s Report.   Nothing to report
  2. Webmaster’s Report. No report following Andre’s resignation. Ken was arranging for access to

the site to update the data and information pro tem finding a new web master.

  1. Treasurer’s Report:

 14.1    Current Account.  The current account had a credit of £2,432.11

 14.2    Bank Signatories.  The CAF Account should be transferred from Keith to Peter, and the list of

            signatories on both accounts reviewed

  1. Any Other Business

15.1    Health.  Beryl was offered the Committee’s good wishes in anticipation of her forthcoming

operation

15.2    Andrew England.  The next meeting would be on Friday 5th August.  Suggested topics:

  • Westover Road Cinemas
  • St Peter’s Hall
  • Old Christchurch Road Conservation Area
  • Bath Road North (Pavilion Gardens) development
  • University plans at Lansdown and at Wallisdown
  • Talbot Village Management Plan
  • Need for a full time Conservation Officer
  • Bournemouth Planning Conventions in a new Super Council
  • Buddlea growing out of Bournemouth College.

15.3    Bournemouth In Bloom.  It was agreed that £100 should be donated to Bournemouth in Bloom

  1. Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at St Peters Church on Monday 22nd August

 

   There being no more business the meeting was closed at 15.06

===============================================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at St Peter’s Church

at 2pm on Monday 27th June 2016

 

Present:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), John Barker (President and Newsletter Editor), Hilda Brownlow, Sally Mc Grath (Membership Secretary), Beryl Parker (Social Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer),   Andre Thomas (Webmaster), James Weir (Heritage & Conservation Officer) and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary).

 

  1. Apologies:  Jean Bird (Vice Chairman) and Elaine Cooper,
  2. 2.   The minutes for the meeting on 23rd May were agreed.

2A     Appointments.

2A.1    Heritage & Conservation Officer.  It was agreed that James Weir should be appointed to the role 

            on the Executive Committee as the Society’s Heritage and Conservation Officer

 

2A.2    Planning Sub-Committee.  It was agreed that there should be a ‘Planning sub-Committee’ and that

            the Chairman, President, Built Environment Officer, Heritage & Conservation Officer be permanent

            members and others join when specific applications involving their expertise are considered.

 

  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes:

3.1             Beales Place Pedestrianisation.  It was agreed that this should be referred to the Society’s Planning sub-Committee for consideration.

3.2             St Peter’s Church Frontage.  Ken informed the Committee that the Church would like to open up

its’ frontage when funds were available and all the necessary permissions granted. James offered to help.

3.3             St Peter’s Hall.  Planning permission had been granted for demolition and replacement with student flats.  The proposed building was larger than the Hall, and the design was a pastiche of the current building.  It was considered that the Council should have reconsidered the loss of the existing building from the Conservation Area due to more historic features now visible since the earlier decision and that the failure to do so represented a ‘substantial loss’.  Demolition had already started at the rear of the Hall

  1. Local Development Framework.  There was a meeting on 23rd May when the only item on

     the agenda was consideration of the outcome of public consultation on the Talbot Village

      Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan which was approved.  The next meeting would

be in October.

  1.     Built Environment.  

5.1               Westover Road Cinemas.  No planning application received yet. The Council appeared  keen to extend the conservation area to the top of Westover Road which the Society had been suggesting for several years.

5.2               Bath Road North Car Park.  Ken will ask again for the Development Team to meet the Society.  It is understood that the world class architectural practice that had been selected by the Council are keen to respect the character of the area in their proposals.

5.3               Traditional Windows and Shopfront.  It was agreed that a watch should be maintained to ensure that the original fenestration was maintained in conservation areas and on buildings of interest follow losses identified by James and a shop front being ripped out in Pokesdown despite the local Community Forum’s best endeavours to save it. James would email the Council and send Guidance Notes on best practice.

  1. Planning.   See John Soane’s report.

6.1               17 Stourwood Avenue.  The proposal to demolish an Art Deco building and replace it with a

modern block of 17 flats was inappropriate.

6.2               2 West Hill Road.  A proposal to build a modern block of 10 flats was wrong for the area.

6.3               41-45 Poole Hill.  Southbourne Brewery’s plan to refurbish the original Bournemouth School of Art building as a mini brewery upstairs and a restaurant/pub on the lower floors, with maximum

exposure of the original features of the building was to be welcomed.

6.4               University Social Health Facility.  This building in St Paul’s Place and Lansdowne Road was well designed apart from the north frontage which needed modification.  It was referred to the Society’s Planning sub-Committee for recommendations.

6.5               8 Carbery Avenue.  The proposed replacement of a bungalow with two bungalows was excessive.

6.6               6 Nelson Road.  Although this site was secluded, the proposal for four small blocks was not ideal

and one larger block would be preferable.

6.7               Radcliffe Court.  The revised design was an improvement and should be welcomed

6.8               Burlington House.  The proposal to add two storeys (10 flats) was OK in principal but needed some

redesign.

  1. Planning Board. 

7.1               University Social Health Facility.  The Board was given a presentation on this.

7.2               Beales Department Store.  Proposed change of use for the upper floors was refused

  1. Communications Timetable.   Copy for Autumn Newsletter to John Barker by 31st July.  John

Soane was invited to write an overview of his new book and James an article for inclusion.

  1. Civic Voice.  Newsletters circulated, Trustee elections imminent, news on campaigns and the APPG on Civic Societies.
  2. Bournemouth 2026  Nothing to report, Hilda would represent the Society in Elaine’s absence if any meetings were called.
  3. Activities Officers’ Reports:

11.1      Outings.  All activities had been cancelled until September. Best wishes were sent to Keith who was still poorly.

  1. Membership Officer’s Report.   Nothing to report
  2.  Webmaster’s Report. All up to date
  3. 14.  Treasurer’s Report:  Account details awaited from Peter.
  4. Any Other Business

15.1    Health.  Beryl was offered the Committee’s good wishes in anticipation of her forthcoming

operation and she was asked to pass good wishes to Keith Barnes

15.2    Andrew England.  The suggested date (8th July) for the next meeting with Andrew England needed

            to be changed due to Committee holidays,  Jean was asked to reschedule the meeting ideally in August.

15.3    Conservation Officer.  The lack of a dedicated Conservation Officer working for Bournemouth

was discussed and real concern was expressed at the loss of this role some years ago.

   15.4   Windows.  James shared copies of the Historic England and SPAB guides on windows to be sent to

            the Borough’s planning officers.

 

  1. Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at St Peter’s Church at 2pm on Monday 25th July

 

   There being no more business the meeting was closed at 15.15

=================================================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 23rd May 2016

 Present:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Elaine Cooper, Sally Mc Grath (Membership Sec), Beryl Parker (Social Sec), John Soane (Built Environment Officer),   Andre Thomas (Webmaster), James Weir and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary).

Apologies:  John Barker (President and Newsletter Editor) and Hilda Brownlow

  1. 2.   The minutes for the meeting on 25th April were agreed, subject to the correct date  

            being noted on them.

  1. Matters Arising from the Minutes:

3.1             Talbot Village/Bournemouth University.  Ken would re-confirm the Society’s support for the stance taken by Talbot and Branksome Woods Residents Association (and already contained in our submission to the Council) following a member’s question at the AGM

3.2             University Rail Station Near Talbot Woods.  This topic was discussed at a recent meeting with Andrew England but due to the operational, environmental and conservation issues was unlikely to be built. The Society did not support the principle of the idea and so would advise the member who had raised a query on this matter.

3.3             New Pedestrianised Area In Town Centre.  There was a proposal for  part of Old Christchurch Road outside Beales to be pedestrianised.  This was not considered a good idea in principle in transport terms so details of the proposal would be requested.

3.4             2016/7 Committee List. Paul would create and circulate a new list of officers and their contact details subsequent to the AGM and Andre would update the current version on the website when received.

  1. Local Development Framework.  There would be a meeting at 3.30 at the Town Hall this same afternoon and the only item on the agenda was consideration of the outcome of public consulation on the Talbot Village Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan. The Society’s observations had been made on the documents and were included in the list of  consultees responses.
  2.     Built Environment.  

5.1               Westover Road Cinemas.  Progress was awaited on plans for re-use of the historic buildings.

5.2               Triangle.  The new Ferris Wheel would be present for three weeks. 

5.3               Bath Road Car Parks.  Proposals were awaited from the outcome of the Bournemouth Development Company’s shortlisting of architects.

6.                  Planning.   See John Soane’s report.

6.1               Warren Edge Road and Close.  Applications to build on 6A and 8 Warren Edge Road and 7 Warren Edge Close had attracted an unusually large number of objections.  All of the proposed flatblock developments were out of character with the surrounding bungalows.  The Council should create a policy with regard to development in this area.

6.2               22-24 Calvin Road.  Proposals to extend the properties to provide 7 student flats should be opposed

6.3               1-5 Hanford Road.  Plans to build a residential close on the redundant builders yard was ok.

6.4               12 The Triangle.  A proposed 1st and 2nd floor extension and improvements to the ground floor shop

were satisfactory

7                  Planning Board. 

7.1               140 Alumhurst Road.  The application had been withdrawn – stability report awated.

7.2               Southcote Road.  A revised HMO application was refused

7.3               Rosslyn Hotel.  Planning approval had been denied.

8.          Communications Timetable.   Copy for Autumn Newsletter to John Barker by 31st July

 9.         Civic Voice. 

9.1         Membership Renewal.  Membership was agreed  to be renewed at £1.50 per Member.

9.2         AGM.  The Civic Society AGM would be in Chester over the weekend 12-14 October

9.3         Design Awards.  Nominations for 2017 were being sought

9.4         Queen’s Speech Digest.  Civic Voice had published a good digest

10.          Bournemouth 2026  Nothing to report currently.

11.          Activities Officers’ Reports:

11.1      Outings.  It was wet when the Society visited Hengistbury Head so the Warden showed an excellent  film and members toured the new centre.

12.        Membership Officer’s Report.

12.1     Second Reminders.  There had only been two responses to the reminders.

13.        Webmaster’s Report

13.1     Website.  Some members were experiencing difficulties with access. Andre would investigate.

13.2     Twitter.  James offered to establish and monitor a Twitter account for the Society

14.        Treasurer’s Report: Current Account – £3, 896.61

15.        Any Other Business

15.1    Citizen’s Award.  Congratulations to Beryl on her nomination for an award which Ken had seconded and provided a lot of the submission information for

15.2    St Peter’s Church.  Ken updated on progress with the appeal, the Stone & Voice project and the steps in hand to create a charitable incorporated organisation.

15.3     St Peter’s Hall.  James queried new revised plans for the Hall which he believed disrespected the  original frontage. John S was asked to check and comment appropriately in the next monthly planning digest.

16.       Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at 18 Sandbourne Road at 2pm on Monday 27th June

 

   There being no more business the meeting was closed at 15.05

===============================================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 25th April 2016

 

Present:  Jean Bird, Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Andre Thomas, James Weir and Paul Newsome.

                  James Weir, attending his first meeting, was co-opted on to the committee for the current year     1.          Apologies:  Ken Mantock, John Barker, Sally Mc Grath and Beryl Parker

  1. 2.   The minutes for the meeting on 21st March were agreed
  2.      Matters Arising from the Minutes:  There were no matters arising.
  3. Local Development Framework.  No report
  4.     Built Environment.  

5.1               Town Centre.  Viwed from Gervis Place the new buildings looked OK

  1. Planning.   See John Soane’s report.

6.1               Westover Road Cinemas.  No contact had been made with the developers, and there had been no feasibility study on the possible re-use of the concert hall.  Bournemouth Corporation had made an

offer to purchase the building but had been out-bid

6.2               2 Lorne Park Road.  The proposed additional two storeys OK in relation to surrounding buildings.

6.3               139-141 Southbourne Overcliff Drive.  The revised application was still out of keeping with the

surrounding bungalows.

6.4               45 Southbourne Coast Road.  This modernistic development on a prominent site was out of

keeping with the area.

6.5               Beales Department Store.  The proposed conversion of the upper floors into flats was inappropriate,

to date 71 letters of objection had been received

6.6               8-10 Yelverton Road.  The proposed additional two storeys were appropriate to the building and the

     area

6.7               21-26 Studland Road.  The plan to demolish two houses and replace with an apartment block would

be satisfactory if the concrete collar was removed from the new building.

  1. Planning Board. 

7.1               140 Alumhurst Road.  The unauthorised excavations were undermining foundations.  The

            application for an extension was deferred.

7.2               130-138 Holdenhurst Road.  The Bournemouth University application for the site was elegant.

7.3               Rosslyn Hotel.  Planners had no power to prevent the alterations on the ground floor but were

imposing strict conditions on the kitchen/wine store extension to minimise noise and smells

  1. Communications Timetable.   Copy for Autumn Newsletter to John Barker by 31st July
  2. Civic Voice.  Documents had been distributed to committee members
  3. Bournemouth 20/26  Nothing to report
  4. Activities Officers’ Reports:

11.1Outings.  The visit to Highcliffe Castle (Mr Selfridge) was very successful and much enjoyed

  1.   Membership Officer’s Report. No report
  2.  Webmaster’s Report. Up to date.
  3.  Treasurer’s Report: Current Account – £3,323.31
  4. Annual General Meeting.  The AGM had been very successful with an excellent illustrated

        report from Ken.

  1. Any Other Business

16.1   Andrew England Meeting:

  • Staff Cuts. Andrew’s responsibilities now included food waste and dog tagging which greatly reduced his ability to deal with planning matters – 50% of all submitted plans were dealt with by private companies and not by Council staff. Officers no longer inspected developments after permission had been granted.       Caroline Peach was allowed to spend half her time as Conservation

Officer.

  • Talbot Village Trust. Plans for development were nearing completion, these included a proposal to

move the St Mark’s Church School playground

  • Bath Hill Car Parks. It was confirmed that there will be developments on both car parks.
  • Wessex Field. There would be no housing on Wessex Field
  • Belvedere Hotel. The hotel had been sold to a new developer
  • University Rail Station. Outline planning for a new rail station serving the Universities
  • Bournemouth Development Company. There was doubt as to whether the work of the Company

was scrutinised

16.2   Durley Road Car Park.  The proposal was two big.  Two storeys should be removed

  1. Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at 18 Sandbourne Road at 2pm on Monday 23rd May

 

   There being no more business the meeting was closed at 15.20

================================================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18, Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 21st March 2016.

Present: Jean Bird, Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Andre Thomas, James Weir and Paul Newsome. James Weir, attending his first meeting, was co-opted on to the committee for the current year.    

1.        Apologies: Ken Mantock, John Barker, Sally Mc Grath and Beryl Parker

2.        Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting on 21st March were agreed

3.        Matters Arising from the Minutes: There were no matters arising.

4.        Local Development FrameworkNo report

5.        Built Environment:

5.1      Town Centre.  Viewed from Gervis Place the new buildings looked OK.
 
6.        Planning:  See John Soane’s report.
 
6.1      Westover Road Cinemas.  No contact had been made with the developers, and there had been no feasibility study on the possible re-use of the concert hall.  Bournemouth Corporation had made an offer to purchase the building but had been out-bid
6.2      2, Lorne Park Road.  The proposed additional two storeys OK in relation to surrounding buildings.
6.3      139-141 Southbourne Overcliff Drive.  The revised application was still out of keeping with the surrounding bungalows.
6.4      45 Southbourne Coast Road.  This modernistic development on a prominent site was out of keeping with the area.
6.5      Beales Department Store.  The proposed conversion of the upper floors into flats was inappropriate, to date 71 letters of objection had been received
6.6      8-10 Yelverton Road.  The proposed additional two storeys were appropriate to the building and the area.
6.7      21-26 Studland Road.  The plan to demolish two houses and replace with an apartment block would be satisfactory if the concrete collar was removed from the new building.
 
7.        Planning Board:  
 
7.1      140 Alumhurst Road.  The unauthorised excavations were undermining foundations.  The application for an extension was deferred.
7.2     130-138 Holdenhurst Road.  The Bournemouth University application for the site was elegant.
7.3     Rosslyn Hotel.  Planners had no power to prevent the alterations on the ground floor but were imposing strict conditions on the kitchen/wine store extension to minimise noise and smells
 
8.       Communications Timetable.  Copy for Autumn Newsletter to John Barker by 31st July 
 
9.       Civic Voice.  Documents had been distributed to committee members
 
10.     Bournemouth 20/26.  Nothing to report
 
11.      Activities Officers’ Reports:
 
11.1    Outings.  The visit to Highcliffe Castle (Mr Selfridge) was very successful and much enjoyed.

12.     Membership Officer’s Report.  No report

13.     Webmaster’s Report.  Up to date.

14.     Treasurer’s Report.  Current Account – £3,323.31

15.      Annual General Meeting.  The AGM had been very successful with an excellent illustrated report from Ken.

16.     Any Other Business:

16.1   Andrew England Meeting.

•         Staff Cuts.  Andrew’s responsibilities now included food waste and dog tagging which greatly reduced his ability to deal with planning matters – 50% of all submitted plans were dealt with by private companies and not by Council staff.  Officers no longer inspected developments after permission had been granted.  Caroline Peach was allowed to spend half her time as Conservation Officer.
•         Talbot Village Trust.  Plans for development were nearing completion, these included a proposal to move the St Mark’s Church School playground.
•          Bath Hill Car Parks.  It was confirmed that there will be developments on both car parks.
•         Wessex Field.  There would be no housing on Wessex Field
•         Belvedere Hotel.  The hotel had been sold to a new developer
•         University Rail Station.  Outline planning for a new rail station serving the Universities
•         Bournemouth Development Company.  There was doubt as to whether the work of the Company was scrutinised.

16.2   Durley Road Car Park.  The proposal was too big.  Two storeys should be removed.

17.      Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at 18 Sandbourne Road at 2pm on Monday 23rd May

 There being no more business the meeting was closed at 15.20

  

===========================================================

 

BOURNEMOUTH  CIVIC SOCIETY 

Minutes of a meeting of the Executive Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on 22nd February 2016

Present:  Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird, Beryl Parker, John Soane, Elaine Cooper, John Barker, Sally McGrath, Andre Thomas.

Apologies: Paul Newsome, Hilda Brownlow caught in traffic, Keith Barnes.

1.         Minutes of last meeting.  Accepted as a true record.

2.        Matters arising :None.

3.        LDF:

3.1.    Talbot Village. Proposals for the Poole administered area including a Conservation area and a management  plan.

3.2.    Neighbourhood Plan for Boscombe and Pokesdown.  Hilda Brownlow to monitor for the Society.

3.3     Next meeting: 21st March.

4.       Built Enironment:

     a)  Westover  Road cinemas. No news.

     b)  Pokesdown.  Ken met Pam Ruthven and Lyn to discuss planning laws.

     c)  Glenfurness Avenue.  Local residents are appealing the decision to demolish.  

    d)  Manchester Hotel. Re-development accepted subject to final plans.

5.       Planning Digest:5.1      Morley Road .   5 flats –  too many

5.2    Manchester Hotel flats  –  Too many        

5.3     Apostolic Church  8 town houses – Too many                                        

5.4     SPD Talbot Village –   Poole’s  responsibility

6.       Planning Board Rota 2016:  March;   Jean;  April John Soane; May  Elaine;  June John Barker; July  Sally August  Sally;   September  Andre;  October  Sally; November  Elaine; December  John Soane.

7.       Communications:  Newsletter and notice of AGM sent out.

8.       Civic Voice:  Items include War memorials; NPPF changes,

9.       Bournemouth 2026.  Elaine attended a networking session.

10.     Britain in Bloom: Beryl Parker has become the Society’s representative on the B-inB committee.  There will be three prizes ths year,  one for the Southern counties, another for the Eastern counties and the third for coastal towns.  Prize giving will be in October.  Emphasis will be on community gardens and the “Growing makes sense” campaign.

11.      Membership. One new member, James Wier;  John Hancock had renewed his membership.

12.     Web site.  Up to date.

13.     Treasurer’s report.

14.     AOB.   Elaine reported that three yellow buses had been refurbished as a tourist attraction.

15.     Next Meeting:  21st March at 2.0 pm at 18, Sandbourne Road.

The meeting concluded at 3.05 pm. 

============================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 23rd November 2015

Present: Ken Mantock (Chairman), John Barker, Jean Bird, Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper,                Sally McGrath, Beryl Parker, Andre Thomas, John Walkerand Paul Newsome.

 1.       Apologies:   Keith Barnes

2.       Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 26th October were agreed subject to a correction at 7.3 which should have read that the plan for a bungalow extension at 41a Stewart Road was approved
 
3.       Matters Arising from the Minutes:

3.1     Hilton Hotel.  The visit of John Soane and three committee members to the new Hilton Hotel on 28th October had been very interesting and the efforts of THAT Group representative Peter Tidsdale were much appreciated.  They were only able to see the public rooms (no bedrooms).  They felt that these rooms were ‘a little cramped’.  A public open day was planned for 12th December. Ken would email Peter and thank him for hosting the visit and asking if further visits could take place for those unable to attend on 28th.

 4.       Local Development Framework. The next meeting was scheduled for 11th December when topics to be discussed would include : Churchill Garden Conservation Area and update on national planning guidance. Ken had replied to Andrew England’s invitation for the Society to become involved in neighbourhood and community planning in Boscombe and Pokesdown welcoming the approach and commenting on the characterisation study created by John Soane some years ago.

5.       Built Environment.
5.1     Belvedere Hotel.  The mess had been cleared, graffiti remained.  Freehold was for sale. Topic to be raised at next meeting with Andrew England.
5.2     Winter Gardens.  The new provisional plans were impressive – Civic Society recommendations had been accepted it appeared.  There would now be a garden fronting Exeter Road.
5.3     Dean Park.  No change to listed buildings.  Would remain D2. Need to add support for current use to monthly planning digest.
5.4     Town Centre.  The Odeon Cinema had been sold to residential developers – change of use and detailed plans now awaited.  The external appearance would have to be maintained and historic features maintained.
5.5     Wessex Hotel.  The Hotel had been sold, would it remain a hotel and be modernised or see plans for redevelopment? An item to raise at next meeting with Andrew England.
5.6     35 Cavendish Road.  An application had been made for an HMO – would be opposed
5.7     Cliff End Hotel.  Plans to restore this long empty and dilapidated hotel to retirement accommodation had been mooted.
5.8     Langtry Manor.  New owner wished to make this a venue for fine dining and was looking for an extension so that diners could stay overnight. Beryl and John had attended ‘Dinner with Sherlock Holmes’ soiree and been impressed. Ken would write to manager thanking for invite and requesting further information.

 5.9    Planning.  See John Soane’s report and attachment to the minutes concerning St Stephen’s Road Car Park

5.10   3 Glenferness Avenue.  The existing building should be retained as important feature in Conservation Area.
5.11    Woodland Point, Wootton Mount.  The propose development did not allow sufficient space from existing buildings.  It should be reduced and the fenestration improved
5.12    621 Wimborne Road (Moordown).  A proposal for a block of student flats was acceptable architecturally but would encourage social decline of the area
5.13    197 Redhill Drive.  The site was big enough for the proposed development.
5.14    Jecco House Boscombe Grove Road/Wyndham Road.  This is an industrial-style building and the proposed replacement with cottages was a vast improvement
5.15    37-39 Oxford Road.  The 16 storey block with accommodation for 450 students was overpowering and should be reduce to 14 storey
5.16    580 Christchurch Road.  The conversion from a small shop with a flat above to 8 very small flats was unsuitable
5.17    St Albans Avenue.  The proposed buildings were satisfactory but large in comparison with surrounding buildings.  This risked the erosion of the family atmosphere
6.       Planning Board.  John Walker attended and reported:
6.1     Apostolic Church, Victoria Park Avenue.  The revised plan to replace the church with student flats(now 26 students, previously 29) was again refused
6.2     1 Surrey Lodge, 19 Surrey Road. The retrospective request for conversion to an HMO was approved but it was stressed that this was not an example to be followed.
6.3     1260 Wimborne Road.  A plan to replace an existing bungalow with a terrace of four houses was refused as an incorrect planning application for the area.
6.4     130-138 Holdenhurst Road.  There was a presentation of plans to redevelop this site (currently the American Golf Shop and land behind) to student accommodation.  Care had been taken to avoid conflict with the neighbouring East Cliff United Reform Church.
6.5     Palmerston Road Car Park.  A extraordinary meeting of the Board would be held in the CouncilChamber at 4pm on 30th November to discuss development of the site.
6.6    Meeting Times from January 2016.  Planning Board Meetings would start at 2.30pm from January 2016.  
6.7     Society Representatives.  Representation in December would be John Barker and in January John  Soane.  Other months would be as previously published.

 8.      Communications Timetable.  No change to previous agreed plans. Newsletter etc to be with  Sally by early December.

9.       Civic Voice.  Newsletters and information received and circulated.
10.     Bournemouth 20/26  
10.1   AGM.  The AGM on 18th November was attended by Elaine – it had not been as interesting as previous ones.

11.      Activities Officers’ Reports:

11.1     Lunches.  32 attended the November ‘Soup and Talk’ when the speaker was Kathy McNally

11.2     AGM.  The AGM would be at the Connaught Hotel at 7pm on Wednesday 6th April. In 2017 the datewould be a Monday or Friday.
12.       Membership Officer’s Report.  No change. Up to date membership list to be provided toBeryl so attendees at AGM and visits could be checked off and any outstanding subs collected.

13.      Webmaster’s Report.  Up to date.

14.      Treasurer’s Report: Current Account – £1,813.88 CAF account as before.

14.1     Publication of Personal Details.  It was agreed that individual committee members would agree to the amount of information they were happy to have published on the website viz address, phonenumber and email.

15.       Any Other Business.

15.1     Andrew England Meeting .  Next meeting with Andrew England will be on Friday 18th December.   Items to be included in the discussion:

•           Public Toilets

•           The unused circular building at the Hermitage Hotel

•           Completion times on buildings.

•           Bournemouth, Poole and East Dorset Councils possible merger – progress – planning board   boundaries
•‘          Shared space’ – Horseshoe Common and Boscombe.  
•           Football Crowds and access on/off Wessex Way
•           Belvedere Hotel
•           Lansdowne College Buddleia
•           Dean Park Cricket Ground
•           Bournemouth Development Company – proposals for Winter Gardens
•           Housing adjacent to Bournemouth Hospital
•           Throop Country Park

15.2     Membership List.  Copies of the current membership list to be passed to Ken and Beryl

15.3     Builders of Bournemouth.  The Mayor, Cllr John Adamswished to install an additional board on the side of the Pavilion for Henry Joy, was this appropriate? Yes .

16.       Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be in St Peter’s Church on Monday at 2pm on Monday 25thJanuary followed with a visit to the newly restored Chapel of the Resurrection.  Future meetings in 2016 would be on the fourth Monday of each month at 18 Sandbourne Road

 

  There being no more business the meeting was closed at 4.15

 

 

======================================================

 

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 26th October 2015

 Present: Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird, Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath,         Beryl Parker, Andre Thomas, John Walkerand Paul Newsome.

1.         Apologies: John Barker and Keith Barnes
 
2.        Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 28th September were agreed.
 
3.         Matters Arising from the Minutes:
3.1       Hilton Hotel.  The visit for two members plus John Soane would be on 28th October.  It was hopedto arrange additional visits at a later date
 
4.         Local Development Framework. Meetings were held on 30th September and 12th October to discuss University and Poole Borough plans for development which would have an impact on Talbot Village and Talbot Woods and the draft Talbot Conservation Area Management Plan.  It was agreed that development within the Conservation Area should be limited to already approved infill where there were currently obvious gaps along the Wallisdown Road and that the Society would support theResident’s Association’s submissions.

 5.        Built Environment.

5.1       Navitus.  There would not be an appeal.

5.2      Winter Gardens.  Proposals for development were awaited following Council decision to take control of the redevelopment of this site.
5.3      Dean Park.  A request for change from D1 to D2 would be opposed.  No external changes.
5.4      Town Centre.  The Echo had reported developments taking place including the new Hilton Hotel and  the Licet scheme on the Old Bus Station site.
5.5      St Peter’s.  Restoration of the Chapel of Resurrection was complete and now work was being concluded on the HLF Bid for community use within it. Plans for the 2018 Shelley Frankenstein Festival were advancing well.
 
6.        Planning.  See John Soane’s report 
6.1      40 Gervis Road.  Proposed block of 18 flats adjacent to Amberley Court was acceptable
6.2      223-225 Holdenhurst Road.  Plans for a block of 14 flats were ‘clumsy’ and should be revised

6.3      59 Soutbourne Overcliff Drive.  Should be deferred pending decision on whether a continuation of the line of modernistic developments should be allowed to be extended.

7.         Planning Board.  Sally attended and reported:
7.1       3 Glenferness Avenue.  The plan to replace the existing house with flats was deferred
7.2      9 Southbourne Overcliff Drive,  Change of use from hotel to residential use.  Plans approved
7.3      41a Stewart Road. Plan for an ‘infill’ bungalow was approved
7.4      42 Fernside Road.  Request for conversion to HMO was approved.
7.5      Elim Church.  Plans to replace the church with student flats was approved
7.6      15 Westbourne Park Road.  Proposal to build 8 flats was approve
 
8.        Communications Timetable.  No change to previous agreed plans
 
9.        Civic Voice.  The AGM in Bristol was not attended. Membership form has been received along with weekly newsletters and War Memorials Newsletter.
 
10.      Bournemouth 2026 The Newsletter had been distributed. Elaine will attend the forthcoming AGM on 18th November and reported on an interesting networking meeting recently held focussing on environmental issues including Big Lottery and Heritage Lottery bids, a pop up planetarium, the Seafront Strategy and additional groins were needed and it was hoped they would be constructed using traditional rock materials.
 
11.       Activities Officers’ Reports:

11.1      Lunches.  30 attended the October Soup and Sandwich meeting, 24 booked for November.  There were still a limited number of places for the Christmas Lunch at the Miramar Hotel on 19th December. Beryl was thanks for keeping things afloat during Keith’s sickness absence.

11.2     Outings.  Nothing to report

12.       Membership Officer’s Report.  No change

13.       Webmaster’s Report.  Up to date.

14.       Treasurer’s Report: Current Account – £2,174.88 including £132.75 gift aid refund (thanks to Sally)

15.       Any Other Business.

15.1     Andrew England Meeting .  Next meeting with Andrew England will be on Friday 18th December

15.2     BNSS.  BNSS had been granted ‘Museum Status’ which would enable it to seek grants.

15.3     Bournemouth in Bloom  Beryl would represent the Society

15.4     Victory Works.  There had been enquiries regarding the former premises in Palmerston Road, Boscombe –factory made wooden jigsaw puzzles.

15.5     Wishing Wall.  Elaine described an idea that could be used during Civic Day.

15.6     Lansdowne Pedestrian Crossing.   There was concern about the safety of the proposed crossing

15.7      Stour Valley Trail.  £65,000 had been granted to commence construction of the Trail, starting from Hicks Farm running along to Wick Village and including improvements to the Throop Mill car park

 16.       Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at 18 Sandbourne Road on Monday 23rd November

 

  There being no more business the meeting was closed at 3.30

 

 

======================================================

 

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 28th September 2015

 

Present:  John Barker (President), Ken Mantock (Chairman), Jean Bird, Hilda Brownlow, Elaine CooperSally McGrath, Beryl Parker, Andre Thomas, John Walkerand Paul Newsome.

 

1.              Apologies: Keith Barnes, John Pite and John Soane.  The Committee sent their best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery from illness to Keith Barnes and noted, with regret, the resignation of John Pite for family reasons.

2.             Minutes.  The minutes for the meeting held on 24th August were agreed.

3.             Matters Arising from the Minutes: there were no matters arising.
 
4.             Local Development framework.  Next meeting would be on 30th September when theprincipal item for discussion would  be the Borough of Poole and Bournemouth University proposals for development on the Poole side of the Wallisdown Road and its potential impact on the Bournemouth side.  The Society agreed to endorse the comments made by the Talbot WoodsResidents Association.

5.             Built Environment.

5.1           Navitus.  The Committee noted that the off-shore windfarm had not been approved by the Govt Inspector. A real success.
5.2           Lansdowne.  Details were awaited and comment would be limited to general points pending moreinformation being made available.
5.3           SPAB Maintenance Cooperatives.  Elaine would represent the Society at meetings and see if the former URC may be interested in getting involved.
5.4           Russell Cotes Conservatory. NFU Mutual were supporting the Council’s Heritage Lottery Fund bid for the restoration of the conservatory at the Russell Cotes.
5.5           Pokesdown Railway Station.  Further progress was being made by the Community Forum onmaking the station accessible.
5.6          Westover Road Cinemas.   No further news on plans to close the large screen cinemas once the next multiplex ones created at the old Bus Station site in Exeter Crescent. The Save the Cinema’s group were trying to get the cinema listed but had been advised that former attempts had been made and not successful. Awaiting update on publication by Council of Old Christchurch Road Conservation Area Management Plan and our suggestion that boundary be expanded to include top of Westover Rd inc the cinemas and Palace Court Hotel etc.

6.            Planning Applications:  

6.1          3  Glenferness Avenue.  Approval should be deferred

6.2         21 Stourwood Road.  Plans were acceptable

6.3         Berry Court Car Park.  Plans seemed to be satisfactory, but close watch needed especially on colour of finished elevations.

6.4         Apostolic Church.  Proposals still unacceptable

6.5         9  Soutbourne Overcliff Drive.  Plans acceptable

 7.           Planning Board:  Due to an oversight the last Planning Board meeting was not attended by the Civic Society observer.

8.           Communications Timetable:  No change to previous agreed plans viz Christmas newsletter.

 9.          Civic Voice.  Confirmation of receipt of our annual subscription received at last together with weekly newsletters and information on Civic Voice Awards and AGM in Bristol.

 10.        Activities Officers’ Reports:

10.1       Lunches.  Hinton Firs “soup and sandwich lunch talks” continuing and generally well supported.
10.2      Outings.  Beryl would lead the walk in Shaftesbury tomorrow in Keith’s absence, but there had been a significant number of last minute withdrawals. If Keith was still poorly or recuperating next year it was agreed that Beryl should not pick up what he may have planned to  arrange as her own workload was great but that regular attendees on outings should be canvassed in an attempt to find  help in taking on trip organisation.
11.         Membership Officer’s Report.  No change

12.        Webmaster’s Report.  Andre reported that all was up to date.

13.        Treasurer’s ReportCurrent Account – £2,415.63

14.        Any Other Business.

14.1      Caroline Peach Meeting .  See John Barker’s report.  Next meeting with Andrew England is in January at a date to be agreed.

14.2      Bournemouth History. Agreed that we would support the “Bournemouth History – A step into the future group”.

14.3      Bournemouth in Bloom – Beryl updated on progress with the calendar page the Society had sponsored.

14.4      Aspects of War.  John B reported that the next talk was on 9th October.

14.5      Bournemouth 2026.  Elaine would attend the next networking meeting, which had an environmental theme, on 30th September.

14.6      Bournemouth Council for Voluntary Services.  Elaine attended the most recent meeting and gave an overview of items raised.

14.7      Display Boards.  Ken confirmed that they were in use at St Peter’s Church and that Civic Society leaflets were alongside the church restoration leaflets.

14.8      Dean Park Cricket Ground.  Park School had not submitted a planning application yet for change of use so vigilance was needed

14.9      Hilton Hotel.  John Soane would be asked to arrange a tour of the new development by the committee.

14.10    Alderman Ron Whittaker – The committee noted the sad death very recently of former Councillor Ron Whittaker. Tribute was paid to the work he had done on Council and in the community for over 40 years especially regarding the green belt, the river Stour, Throop and Holdenhurst and the Railway Station.

14.11     Christmas in Lower Gardens.  John Walker reported that the ice rink would be similar to 2014, but there would be a more Alpine feel to the surrounds and that separate childrens and grown up rinks would be there.

 14.12    Great Gardens Walk.  It was intended to produce an ‘App’ which would give a guided tour of Bournemouth Gardens

 14.13     Rattenbury Murder – John Walker had been interviewed by BBC TV South and would be featuring, as a local historian, in a series on celebrated South West Murders – the first being the Rattenbury Murder that took place on the East Cliff. Tune in on Monday 5th October from 6.30pm.

 15.         Next Meeting.  The next meeting would be at 18 Sandbourne Road on Monday 26th October.

 

There being no more business the meeting was closed at 3.30

 

 

==========================================================

BOURNEMOUTH CIVIC SOCIETY

 

Minutes of a Meeting of the Committee held at 18 Sandbourne Road

at 2pm on Monday 24th April 2017

 

Present: John Barker (President), Jean Bird (Vice Chairman), Hilda Brownlow, Elaine Cooper, Sally McGrath (Membership Secretary), John Soane (Built Environment Officer,), and Paul Newsome (Minutes Secretary)

 

  1.    Apologies: Ken Mantock (Chairman), Beryl Parker (Social Secretary) and James Weir (Heritage     
  2.      and Conservation Officer)
  3.      Minutes. The minutes for the meeting held on 27th March 2017 were held over to the May3.      Matters Arising from the Minutes. There were no matters arising.4.      Local Development Framework. No report5.      Built Environment.5.2       Moorside Cottage. The cottage, originally two dwellings, was a Grade II thatched property originally constructed in 17th or early 18th Century. It had been unoccupied for the past 25 years and was in poor condition. The application to build three houses in the grounds to provide funds for the restoration would result in a significant degradation of the visual and spatial context and should be refused. The Society wanted the property to be restored to its’ original two dwellings without the5.3       Wharfdale Road Business Units. The Society had been asked to investigate the proposal to convert5.4       Talbot Woods (Richard Carr). The Society supported local residents’ objections. The latest plan for 50 flats contravene all planning precepts
  4.  
  5.             No 20 from commercial use to a training centre and church.
  6.             need for new construction
  7. 5.1       Hospital Access from the A338 Spur Road. Elaine was monitoring this.
  8.  
  9.  
  10. meeting as not all members had received a copy.
  •     Heritage and Conservation. No report

 

    1.      Planning. See John Soane’s report:
      1. 247 Charminster Road. The visually harmonious block of flats proposed should be allowed.
      2. 32 Markham Avenue. The requested 4 bungalows was too much for the site, 2/3 could be
      3. acceptable
      4. 56 Richmond Park Avenue. The request to allow renovation and increase in internal space, with no
      5. change to the frontage, improved the property and should be allowed
      6. 15 Robert Louis Stephenson Avenue. The plan to extend the High Victorian semi-detached house
      7. would ruin the back of the property and should be rejected.
      8. 69 Kimberley Road. The proposed extension to take all the garden. Should be rejected.
      9. Iford Lane. Plans were not available for the plan to replace a house with flats
      10.  
  •    Planning Sub-Committee. The Planning Sub-Committee will meet in the Echo Building for a 

 

    1.     tour on 3rd May
    2.    Planning Board Observation.
      1. 84-94 Shelborne Road. Plans to replace garages with 3 small houses was agreed.
      2. Rosslyn Hotel. The replacement of a flue (to reduce fumes) was agreed.
      3. 1 Westover Road (formerly Austin Reed). The Board agreed an exceptional alteration from retail to restaurant for this site, stressing that this was the only exception that would be permitted.
      4.  
    3.     Communications Timetable. Nothing new.
    4.  
    5.    Civic Voice.
      1. 50 Years of Conservation Areas. Ken had approached Caroline Peach with the suggestion that the Civic Society and Planning Department mount a joint display of the town’s conservation areas11.2    Insurance. The Committee voted to renew the insurance with Civic Voice
      2.  
      3. during Dorset Architectural Week in September or Bournemouth Arts by the Sea Festival in October.
  •      Bournemouth 20/26 No report.

 

 

  •      Bournemouth-in-Bloom. No report

 

    1.  
  •      Activities Officer’s Report. It was understood that the April Lunch at the Hinton Firs Hotel 

 

  1. had been very successful
  2.      Membership Officer’s Report. Nothing new.
    1. Webmaster’s Report. Progress on the new website was good and it should be possible to launch it in May. Members were asked to submit photos and letters after their name
    2.  
  3.  
  4.    Treasurer’s Report: Current account – £1,333.27; CAF account – £7,408.00
    1. Annual General Meeting. This was considered to have been most successful. The changed arrangements were an improvement and James Weir’s presentation was excellent. Thanks to Debbie for supervising the event so well 19.    Any Other Business.            meeting 19.3    Car Parks. Usage of St Stephen’s Road, Terrace Gardens and Southbourne Crossroads car parks was insufficient to make them viable – hence the plans to build on all or part of them 
    2. The meeting closed at 15.00                       
    3.  
    4. 19.2    Dorset Architectural Week would take place in September
    5. 19.1    Visit to Andrew England. The next visit would be on Friday 9th June – agenda items at May
    6.  
  5.